Mac & WHAT?! That’s right, it’s Mac & Yease, or rather the vegan version of Mac & Cheese. Having a vegan boyfriend has gotten me on a fun quest for delicious vegan recipe favorites. While on a recent trip to Seattle, we stumbled across the amazing Spicy Mac ‘N’ Yease at Plum Bistro, an all-vegan restaurant in Capitol Hill. A seriously yum-tastic dish, it started me on a quest to somehow recreate it at home. The following recipe is the closest that I have come to Plum’s genius, and has quickly become a household favorite. Enjoy!
Mac & Yease
- 1/2 Cup Margarine
- 1/2 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Nutritional Yeast
- 3 1/2 Cup Boiling Water
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Salt
- 1 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 Pinch of Turmeric
- 1 Pinch of Cayenne Pepper
- about 1 Tbsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
- 1/2 to 1 Tbsp. Mustard
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil, add salt to taste, and add macaroni.
- Melt the margarine over low heat. Beat in flour with a wire whisk. Continue to beat over medium heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Whip in boiling water. Add salt, garlic powder, turmeric, cayenne, pepper flakes, soy sauce and mustard to the liquid.
- Let the sauce cook until it thickens and bubbles. When that happens, beat in nutritional yeast. If the sauce is too thick, add more water.
- When the macaroni is cooked, drain and add the sauce. Serve immediately.
I sometimes stir in shredded vegan mozzarella cheese until it’s all melted for a creamier version.